The success of any restaurant will depend on well it is managed. Good management practices are essential to acquiring and retaining customers. When one runs and efficient restaurant, the reward will be a great reputation and a thriving long term business. The following are a number of tips on how to manage a restaurant:
1. The ambience of a restaurant should be designed to make a customer feel welcome. When you have chosen the theme of the restaurant, the decor should consist of furnishings and design that matches the theme. When you decorate your restaurant, you have features that are professional and appealing to your customers. Consider such features as paint color, type of tables and seats, carpet design, wall furnishings such as pictures, lighting, view, and music. As well, your restaurant should be well maintained. Cleanliness is extremely important, even the washrooms.
2. You should adopt cost controlling practices. Properly managing inventory and supplies is essential. Look for deals when making your purchases. Don’t order too much of a product as it will either spoil or end up sitting on the shelf for months. You should determine what and how much you will be using each day to determine what you will need to order. You should also effectively manage your staff when it comes to costs. Use staff wisely such as bringing in extra workers during your busy times and reducing staff during your slow times.
3. Providing quality customer service is essential to operating a successful restaurant. Your staff should be experienced, easy to train, respectful, courteous, and friendly. Servers should pamper your customers and make them feel that they are valued. Make sure uniforms are attractive and always clean.
4. The food that you serve will make the difference on whether customers will return. Make sure the dishes that you serve and the menu is appealing and will be well received by all of your customers. Food should be fresh and properly prepared at the time of ordering. Your chef should be experienced in the type of food that you serve. Make sure that the dishes you serve are consistent in taste and appearance. As well, offer specials and unique dishes often.
5. In order to make your restaurant a continuing success, you must implement a marketing strategy. You should be advertising your restaurant in local newspapers and magazines. You can also place menus and informational brochures in places such as hotels. Sponsoring events such as for a charity or a sporting activity is a good way to keep your restaurant name out in the community. As well, make sure you promote your daily specials and any other discount special. A coupon or gift certificate is a good advertising choice.